Using the Library
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Library is currently open 11am-4pm, Monday to Friday.
GENERAL OPENING HOURS
Monday to Thursday 9am-8pm
To return loans outside library opening hours, please drop them in the red bin on the right, outside the library entrance.
- Books and audio-visual material may be borrowed for a period of up to one month.
- If items are requested by another user, they are subject to recall after two weeks.
- Items should always be returned to the issue desk, so that they can be deleted from your reader record.
- If the Library is closed, items can be placed in the book return bin just outside the Library entrance.
- Fines are not charged for overdue items, but loans should be brought back promptly on or before their due date, so that material is available for other members.
- Only one overdue or recall notice is sent to Library users for items that have been borrowed.
- Users who do not renew or return items within two weeks of the notice will have their loan account suspended until either the item is returned, or payment is made to cover the replacement costs. Please note that replacement items must be purchased by the library from our suppliers, substitute copies bought by readers will not be accepted.
- There is a standard replacement charge of £50 per item.
- Users who fail to return the item/s or pay the replacement charges within two weeks of their account being suspended will have all other library privileges suspended, including their Shibboleth account, and the matter will be referred to the Finance Directorate for further action. We anticipate this being a very rare occurrence, as we know that most of our members are considerate of their fellow members’ needs and return their loans on time.
- It is essential that you keep us informed if you change your email address as notices will be sent out via email. If you maintain a ‘white list’ or list of safe senders for your email account please add firstname.lastname@example.org to this to prevent the messages from being blocked by your spam filters.
- If all copies of an item are out on loan, or if you wish an item to be put aside for you, please place a reservation via the Library Catalogue
- To do this click on ‘Place hold’ from the list of results or the detailed record, and follow the instructions.
- You will need your Library Login and Password to reserve items. These were given to you when you enrolled with the Library. If you do not have a record of your Library Login and Password please contact the Library (email@example.com).
- We will notify you (usually by email) when the item is available for collection. We normally hold reserved items for one week. If they are not collected within this time they are either passed on to the next reader waiting, or returned to the shelves. If you are unable to collect an item please let us know – we may be able to hold it for longer, or place you back on the waiting list.
- To renew your loans you will need to log in to the library catalogue with your Shibboleth login and password. If you have forgotten your Shibboleth password you can reset it here
- Items may be renewed twice, providing they are not required by another reader. You can renew by telephone or email, but we encourage our members to use the self-service renewal facilities on the online library catalogue .
- Use the password you chose or were given. If you do not have these please contact the Library on 020 8938 2520 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are two photocopiers/printers/scanners in the Library for use by members.
- All user must have an Online Printing Account. Click here for details
- Users must comply with copyright regulations, details of which are displayed next to the machines.
- Journal articles and books that are not in stock in the library may be obtained from other libraries.
- A fee of £8 per request is charged for this service.
- To request an item, please use our online ordering and payment form.
- Please note the British Library will not allow us to send books out to regional sites, so we are unable to obtain books on Inter-Library Loans. Your public library should be able to order them for you.
- Click here for details of our refund policy.
Great news, under our new partnership arrangements with University of Essex all students on Essex validated courses have borrowing rights and access to e-resources at University of Essex Libraries.
University of Essex Libraries
Access for Students on Essex validated courses
Your course administrator here at the Trust will email out your personalised registration form which will enable you to register for a University of Essex student card. Once you have received your University of Essex student card you will be able to use the University of Essex libraries.
Trust staff have reference use and limited borrowing rights at University of Essex Libraries too! This is at the discretion of the librarian. For more information please contact the University of Essex Library direct: email@example.com or call 01206 873192
Students on Non-Essex Validated Courses
If you are a Trust student but studying on a course that is not validated by University of Essex you are entitled to reference use of University of Essex Libraries.
To register please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for more information about using University of Essex Libraries
Access to other university libraries via The Society of College, National and University Libraries (SCONUL) reciprocal scheme
Students holding Essex University or UEL student cards can also use other university libraries participating in the SCONUL scheme. Click here for more information about SCONUL.