Online therapy and supervision
We’ve compiled a range of resources to help you explore the theory and practice of working remotely as a therapist or supervisor. Let us know if you come across anything that’s helped you and we’ll be happy to share it. Email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re adding to our selection of ebooks about practising therapy and supervision remotely, including titles on psychoanalysis, CBT and coaching. opens in a new windowClick here to find them on the Library catalogue.
Recent journal articles
- opens in a new windowTelepsychology practice: Primer and first steps. Martin, Millán and Campbell (2020). Practice Innovations.
- opens in a new windowEthical Issues in Online Psychotherapy: A Narrative Review. Stoll, Müller and Trachsel (2020). Frontiers in Psychiatry.
- opens in a new windowExpectations and Experiences of Couples Receiving Therapy Through Videoconferencing: A Qualitative Study. Kysely et al (2020). Frontiers in Psychology.
- Efficacy of synchronous telepsychology interventions for people with anxiety, depression, posttraumatic stress disorder, and adjustment disorder: A rapid evidence assessment. Varker et al (2019). Psychological Services.
Guidelines and advice
- opens in a new windowBACP good practice for working online in the counselling professions
- opens in a new windowBPA guidelines on the developing situation with Covid-19
- opens in a new windowNHS England IAPT guide for delivering treatment remotely
- opens in a new windowSCIE/BASW Digital Capabilities for Social Workers
- opens in a new windowUKCP Guidelines for working with adult clients in isolation
- opens in a new windowUKCP Guidelines for working with children and young people
Confer has a series of YouTube videos featuring therapists discussing their experiences of clinical work during this time of global crisis. Includes an interview with Tavistock and Portman’s Graham Music. opens in a new windowClick here to see Confer videos.
Recent posts covering online therapy:
Supervision reading list
We’ve created an online reading list of books and articles on technology-assisted supervision, selected by Tavistock and Portman’s Dr Emma-Kate Kennedy.
Family therapists video
Family and systemic therapists discuss the situation around COVID-19, includes Paolo Bertrando and Britt Krause.
The Virtual Couch
Interview with Stephen Blumenthal, Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Psychoanalyst at the Tavistock and Portman, in which he explores what happens when psychoanalysis moves on to Zoom. Available in the Economist’s 1843 Magazine. opens in a new windowClick here to read the article.
BACP COVID-19 blog
The British Association For Counselling And Psychotherapy (BACP) has been featuring a series of short blog posts on the effects the pandemic has had on the profession. Read accounts from therapists and counsellors on how they’ve been affected by the crisis and the impact it’s had on them and their practice. opens in a new windowClick here to read the blog posts.
NCL In Mindcast
A wellbeing and mental health podcast series to connect and support the North Central London health and social care workforce during the Coronavirus outbreak. Features Tavistock and Portman staff. opens in a new windowClick here for more information about the NCL In Mind project.
Online therapy podcast
Science of Psychotherapy podcast: Two Australian psychotherapists discuss issues around online therapy.