Services for our National Training Centres and Clinical Services
Once your enrolment is fully processed by the Department of Education and Training, you will receive your Shibboleth/Institutional login by email. This will enable you to access all of online services, such as databases, ebooks and journals. Some of our services can be linked to below. For the full range of services that the library offers have a look at the rest of this website!
Need help with using library resources? Don’t struggle, get in touch with your Personal Librarian. Each course has a named librarian who can help with all your library problems, big or small. To find your Personal Librarian just click here or check your Moodle course page.
We value user feedback so please do contact the library staff if you have any further questions or suggestions as to how we can improve our services.
Students and staff can borrow up to 10 books or pamphlets at one time by post when they are not already available online. These are posted out to you free of charge, however you are responsible for the costs incurred when returning books, which must be done using special delivery post or an equivalent signed-for service.
Please use our online request service which you can find on the online library catalogue – click on the Associate Request tab on the menu bar at the top of the page.
Items are issued for a period of four weeks initially and may be renewed twice. Two weeks into this borrowing period all publications are subject to recall by other library members. Please return items when requested to do so.
Please note that if a book you request is already on loan to another library member, it might be some time before it is available for posting. If you need a book urgently, please check our catalogue to see if it’s available as part of our ever-expanding collection of ebooks.
In addition, certain types of material are excluded from the postal loan service, including:
- Theses and dissertations
- Reference material
- Audio Visual Items
- Items may be renewed twice, providing they are not required by another reader. You can renew by telephone or email, but we encourage our members to use the self-service renewal facilities on the online library catalogue
- To renew your loans you will need your Shibboleth username and password. If you experience any problems, please contact the Library on 020 8938 2520 or email@example.com
- Only one overdue or recall notice is sent to Library users for items that have been borrowed.
- Users who do not renew or return items within two weeks of the notice will have their loan account suspended until either the item is returned, or payment is made to cover the replacement costs.
- Please note that replacement items must be purchased by the library from our NHS suppliers: substitute copies bought by readers will not be accepted.
- There is a standard replacement charge of £50 per item.
- Users who fail to return the item/s or pay the replacement charges within two weeks of their account being suspended will have all other library privileges suspended, including their Shibboleth accounts, and the matter will be referred to the Finance Directorate for further action. We anticipate this being a very rare occurrence, as we know that most of our members are considerate of their fellow members’ needs and return their loans on time.
- It is essential that you keep us informed if you change your email address as notices will be sent out via email. If you maintain a ‘white list’ or list of safe senders for your email account please add firstname.lastname@example.org to this to prevent the messages from being blocked by your spam filters. If you have more than one email address please let us know which you would prefer us to use.
- Don’t forget that you can renew your books via the Library Catalogue, click on ‘My Account’, then ‘Renew My Materials’. You will need your Library Login (the number on the reverse of your membership card) and password to renew your books online, if you do not have these please contact the Library – or email@example.com
- The library can supply photocopies of up to three journal articles or extracts of books held by the Library at any one time. A fee of £4 per request is made for this service including postage and package.
- Copyright law allows us to photocopy on your behalf no more than one chapter of a book or 5% of the whole book, whichever is greater, and no more than one article from a single issue of a journal if it is for non-commercial private research or study.
- Journal articles and books that are not in stock in the library may be obtained from the British Library.
- A fee of £8 per request is charged for this service. Please give as much accurate publication information as possible and include the source of reference (such as a bibliography or electronic database record).
- Please note the British Library will not allow us to send books out to regional sites, however they will be happy to send them directly to you and you would then return them to the British Library.
- Please use our online request service which you can find by CLICKING HERE or going to the library catalogue and selecting the Inter Library Loan Request tab on the menu bar at the top of the page. You will need your library login or student id. All Inter-Library Loan requests are subject to availability.
University of Essex Libraries – Access for Students on Essex validated courses.
Your course administrator here at the Trust will email out your personalised registration form which will enable you to register for a University of Essex student card. Once you have received your University of Essex student card you will be able to use the University of Essex Libraries.
Click here for more information about using University of Essex Libraries
Use a library near home or work
Students holding University of Essex or UEL student cards can use other university libraries participating in the SCONUL scheme. Click here for more information about SCONUL.
If you are a student on a University of Essex or UEL validated course but have not yet received your registration form OR UEL student card please contact your course administrator.